Wednesday 1 April 2015

Sawtooth Scrap Quilt







One of my goals for this year is to use up most of the scraps in my fabric stash. This is a huge job as I have been sewing for most of my life and I never throw anything away, but as I mentioned in my previous post I am trying to let go of the immense amount of *stuff* that I have.

I am a firm believer in necessity being the mother of invention, so this is a great way to play with colours, prints and fabric weights that would not normally be used in quiltmaking. Using my scraps to make objects of use has been a really important learning curve for me- I have realised that I can make an object of beauty and utility out of something that may not have ever left the cardboard box under my sewing table. It has also been a great source of frustration... you mean I can't just cut straight into that buttery, hot-off-the-factory-floor salmon pink linen???  

But seriously, I'm all for sewing with leftovers, I don't even have to try to be expressive. If anything I have to find ways to give the individual pieces of fabric room to breathe. So it's more like an exercise in restraint than anything else, even though the end result is always gonna be a bit eclectic.

This one's a favourite, just 'cause I love red sawtooth and I love depression era floral fabric and that wacky wiggly quilt stitch that my sewing machine does so well. All-in-all, it's a little ripper of a quilt, also, not to toot my own horn (but hey, it's what bloggers do best) it's for sale here, if you're interested.

I will post some more quilts here over the next few weeks, they really are fun to make. Kinda like roast pumpkin sandwiches the day after a fancy dinner party.


No comments:

Post a Comment