Saturday 16 February 2013

6 Years and a New Dress!















It's hard to believe that six years ago today, I clicked "publish" for the first time on this thing. I was seventeen and in my final year of high school. I was pretty young and dramatic- it would be easy for me to be embarrassed of the things that I wrote back then, but I know that time heals (most) wounds and I wouldn't want to kick myself over a deleted blog in the future.

I guess I started writing a blog because I read so many of them, I wanted to be a part of the community and share things I had made with friends and family. Over time, it has turned into so much more than that- it is my portfolio, my journal, Casper's photo album, a publication.

I made this dress specifically to celebrate my 6th bloggiversary so I will call it the '6 year dress'. It is made from this beautiful Japanese printed cotton. It is so light and soft, I feel like I am wrapped in a cloud of pink fairy floss. I put woollen pom-pons around the neckline instead of a collar, which I would have liked to include, if it weren't too hot to keep sewing! My favourite thing about this dress is that it has sleeves. For some reason I always make sleeveless dresses but this time I decided to choose a bodice pattern with raglan sleeves and they turned out super sweet. As usual, I heavily modified an existing vintage dress pattern for the bodice and the skirt is a gathered half-circle, for swishing in.

My lucky number is six, so I think it's going to be a really good year for this little blog. I am doing the 52 project, monthly tutorials and trying my darn'dest to post regularly. I feel very privileged to be able to write, sew, paint and post photos of my life on a webpage and have people actually care enough to have a look. It's amazing and humbling.

Now, without further ado, the winners of my giveaway are:

The Kanga: Caitlin
The Painting: Steph
The Book: Holli

Thanks so much to everyone who entered and for visiting my space. I hope you come again soon!


13 comments:

  1. Six years! That is awesome!! As is your gorgeous dress. Well done you...it looks beautiful. ANd then I spied me...yay for me too! And your gorgeous watercolour oh I'm thrilled. Thanks so much lovely. I'll pop off to email you. WIshing you a beautiful weekend :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that dress!
    I think the pink pom pom collar is my favourite part...after the print that is...that print is gorgeous!

    Six years!
    Congratulations!
    That is such an achievement.

    And I am so excited about the kangaroo!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so cute Ruby :-D I love your dress, especially the blue trim. Congrats on 6 years! Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Congrats on the accomplishment. Sticking with blogging that long is something to cheer about. That dress is fab! You are mighty talented!!

    I love your sweet little blog!!! So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That has to be the prettiest dress ever! Love everything about it. Congratulations on 6 years - here's to more! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow 6 years, that amazing! Congratulations! Love that dress, it looks so pretty on you and I cant believe you made it yourself! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats all winners. Love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a lovely place and that is a lovely dress. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet, sweet dress! No wonder you are dancing...Happy blog birthday - 6 years, wowsers! - you're a bloggie veteran in my books x

    ReplyDelete
  10. how exciting! six years. that is so special. i am very happy for you <3 you are absolutely stunning in that dress. it is so lovely and you are even lovelier. i can just imagine you twirling and twirling in it with your beautiful little boy at your side.
    congratulations again xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. happy 6th birthday, what a beautiful woman you are! so glad to find you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in love with your red shoes!

    ReplyDelete