Tuesday 26 February 2013

Coal Miner's Daughter







I'm calling this one my Loretta Lynn dress because just when I was about give up, I put my chin high and slapped some fringing on it! I'm more than happy this dress is finished, it was taunting me from my mannequin for a few days. I rarely take more than a day to sew something to completion so as you can imagine I was incredibly frustrated.

I really like it now, but there was a foggy point where I was sewing some improvised gores into the skirt in 40 degree heat and the prognosis was not good. But the fabric was so silky and buttery to cut and sew that I think it worked its magic on me. The bodice pattern worked pretty well (I think I'm into this whole sleeves thing), but I didn't expect it to be so extravagant in the end. I think as I get older I want to wear more fringing, sequins and tap shoes.

I finished the hem with some thin red bias binding and a forest green zipper on the side. It's actually quite delicious to wear, there's something very light and soft about it already, I can only imagine what it will be like after a few washes.

Thanks to everyone who left messages of encouragement on my last post, I am feeling good about starting the semester now. I will try to keep this blog updated as much as I can, and will still be posting monthly tutorials and of course the 52 project on Sundays. Oh and that rain I was wishing for? It's here in abundance and I am lapping it up!


13 comments:

  1. The dress looks beautiful and it goes fabulously with the red lippy...glad you managed to get there in the end :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you look amazing. I'm back to school too (tomorrow). am not sure how the writing and the blogging and the parenting will all work out...I guess I'll see soon enough.
    yay for rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH a Loretta Lynn reference.. We are indeed friends. Have you listened to Van Lear Rose? I love it so, so much! The dress is beautiful.. do you give long-distance sewing lessons? I have the machine but not the courage to really use it. Maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fringe! And of course the colour and the print are beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definately need the lighter type fabrics in summer, there is nothing worse than a heavy piece of cloth sticking to your sweaty skin! I love the addition of the fringe, its one of a kind :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a gorgeous dress and looks so lovely on you! I'm loving that collar! Fantastic choice clever lady :)

    Sophie xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dress is gorgeous, and you look so lovely in it. so striking. And beautiful images xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, you and it, you in it. And hear hear to more fringing, sequins and tap shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dress looks gorgeous on you! I love the bright colors and vintage feel of the dress and the fringe adds a really nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a beautiful dress Ruby, and so are you.
    I must persevere with my stitchin, so I'm able to make frocks as lovely as this one one day.
    I'd be so happy if I could...
    Thanks for the tip on the circle skirt too, I'll find a tute and give it a whirl (get it? sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish I could take sewing lessons from you - haha! The fringe looks fantastic!

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete