Friday 22 February 2013

Painting with Salt Water









Yesterday I painted at the mouth of the Hopkins river, where fresh water flows into the sea. With a lemonade bottle full of salt water to dip my brushes in, and a pile of freshly cut paper, I painted golden mustard, warm red-brown, blue and green in messy strokes.  I was so engrossed in the pictures that I didn't notice how sunburned I was.

I only now realise how poetic it is that the water I used to paint with was from the same body of water that I was painting. Doing really quick watercolours is my favourite way to paint. Letting my hands work while my mind wanders.

Speaking of making it up as you go along, today I decided I would sew a dress. As usual it started out as a pattern and some measurements and turned into a totally improvised free-style sewing adventure. This is always very exciting and stressful for me as I have no idea how the dress will turn out. Luckily I have a mannequin that is helpful when I need to make some emergency tucks and pleats. I'm still not sure what it will look like as a finished product, but hopefully something wearable as I just adore the fabric. I'm thinking maybe some dark green velvet cuffs on the sleeves and a very thin velvet collar.

I'm having a quiet night in, thinking about my next portrait for Sunday. What are you doing this fine Friday night?


5 comments:

  1. i truly love your style of painting so much. what a lovely way to paint, right on the shore! have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that fabric too!
    And I love all the little tucks...no idea what the real sewing term is!

    And that little black dog in your painting reminds me of our dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea, to paint with the water you are capturing. I love your watercolors... my mother is so talented with watercolors and I've always struggled with them. I feel like every stroke has to be just right because it all shows, I can't go over it again or rework it like oils. It takes such a confident hand and a clear eye, I envy those skills!

    xox Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the painting with the dog in it. The material you have chosen is just perfect. And as for Friday night, I had a very rare girls night out. Drinks and Thai food xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. how beautiful and relaxing that must have been. your paintings are amazing!

    ReplyDelete