Saturday 9 February 2013

Snails

















When I was little I loved snails. I used to keep snail farms and draw snails and write tiny books about snails called Flora. By 'loved',  I mean I still do. I named this blog after snails and I always make sure not to crush them when I am walking in the rain. 

A few days ago we found a snail in our garden, which is rare (they know that my veggie patch is off limits). And Casper loved it. He was trying to feed it grape vine leaves and kept calling it 'Sauron' which I think is a pretty close interpretation.

Yesterday he was still talking about the Saurons so I decided to try out an easy snail toy construction technique that I have been thinking about. I sewed two tubes and stuffed them with polyfil, then rolled and sewed, rolled and sewed. I added some brown wool eyes and that was that!

We went outside right away to give the snails some basil from the garden and last night was the first time he has ever gone to sleep cuddling a soft toy (let alone two), I was so happy.

I think I might have to try making some more, we could have a snail army! What was your favourite creature when you were little?


14 comments:

  1. Cute snails! I love the photos with them in the basil. My little ones love snails also, I might have to make some of our own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute idea! I love these little floral snails. I used to have snail farms (kept in empty egg cartons) when I was a kid too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever are you!? They look gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the sweetness of your snails. As much as I dob't like snails actually eating my garden, I always save them from the trail where I usually go hiking when they are out after a rain. These are sweetly symbolic of the slow pace and joy of childhood and the lovely play children engage in with nature. brava! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love the little snailes! And a snail army sounds perfect. I want to make some now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh, they are so cute!!
    We love snails too x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is precious.....love his enthusiasm, love your snails.....I don't love snails usually....but I wouldn't walk on them either :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cool...and this is coming from a person who really doesn't like snails ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are beyond sweet! My boys often find empty snail shells in our veggie garden, which they quickly claim as treasures. But the real live things have yet to reveal themselves to us... smart little buggers if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the snails! So clever and a beautiful addition to your garden. I'm sure they loved the basil too:). Ally x

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, I loved snails too! but I tried to keep them as pets which sadly did not work out well for anyone :(

    ReplyDelete